NOTE: This test is ONLY AVAILABLE TO AUSTRALIAN RESIDENTS.
Apolipoprotein E short for APO-E is produced primarily in the liver and brain which has two primary distinct roles:
- The transport of lipids from where they are made or absorbed to the tissues where they are stored.
- The transport of cholesterol and other lipids from the body’s organs to the liver for excretion.
The APOE gene exists in three different forms (alleles) – e2, e3, and e4 – with e3 being the most common allele, found in 60 per cent of the general population. Everyone inherits two APOE genes, one from each parent that is some combination of these three forms.
Recent studies have shown that the APO E gene test is a useful diagnostic test to help confirm a diagnosis of Type III hyperlipoproteinaemia and a diagnosis of late onset Alzheimer’s disease (AD) in a symptomatic adult.
Why get tested?
- If you have elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels that do not respond to lifestyle changes.
- If you suspect Alzheimer’s disease
- If you have a family history of heart disease
The Apolipoprotein E Saliva Test Process
The Apolipoprotein E (APOE) test can be done right from your home or work place, the test kit contains a saliva test kit with a full set of instructions and all equipment required to provide your sample for testing. Return express postage is also included.
Test results are sent to one of our professional health practitioners within 7 business days for evaluation. Our practitioners contact you with the results and recommendations on any findings via email, mail or phone.
Have any questions about this test? Ask one of our qualified health practitioners here.