NOTE: This test is ONLY AVAILABLE TO AUSTRALIAN RESIDENTS.
Estrogen has positive effects on the cardiovascular system, bones, brain, skin as well as reproductive organs. The issues experienced at menopause such as memory loss, osteoporosis and vaginal dryness validates the importance of maintaining optimal estrogen levels. However, if you have too much estrogen in the body called estrogen dominance, it may increase the risk of hormone-related cancers such as endometrial, prostate and breast cancer.
The view that all estrogens are ‘bad’ and cause cancer is a simplistic one. Estradiol (E2) and estrone (E1) are metabolised into at least 14 different species. These breakdown products and have their own specific biological actions; some have the stimulatory properties of estradiol whilst others are weak and antagonistic to other estrogen molecules. An imbalance of the stimulatory versus weak estrogen metabolites have been observed to be associated with many different health disorders. Whilst high levels of the 16α-hydroxyestrone stimulatory estrogen raise cancer risk, lower levels are associated with osteoporosis. In contrast, if the weak estrogens are high they protect against cancer but inhibit bone growth. Therefore the estrogen metabolites are not inactive excretion products but powerful molecules in their own right and should be monitored.
The Estrogen Test
The estrogen test is a simple urine test that can be done right from you home or office. The test evaluates the levels of 4 important estrogen markers such as:
- 2-hydroxyestrone (2OHE1)
- 4-hydroxyestrone (4OHE1)
- 16α-hydroxyestrone (16αOHE1)
- 2OHE1:16αOHE1 ratio
The test includes:
- The test kit
- The test kit full instructions
- Express post overnight return delivery to laboratory
- Test results are sent to one of our professional health practitioners within 7 business days for evaluation. Our practitioners contact you with the results and recommendations on any findings via email, mail or phone so you’ll know exactly what you need to do if the results come back positive.
Symptoms and conditions of estrogen imbalances
- Hot flushes
- Irregular menstruation
- Bone loss
- Dry skin
- Elevated estrogen’s (Estrogen Dominance)
- Gynaecological cancer history or family history of cancer
Have any questions about this test? Ask one of our qualified health practitioners here.